You can Google turmeric and a million benefits will pop up. So what to do? Why not whip up and enjoy some healing golden mylk while you search away and enjoy this deeply nourishing and healing drink.
And yes, “mylk”. The base I use for this is raw cashew mylk…but feel free to use whatever variation of “mylk” or “milk” that suits you best (coconut, almond, dairy, etc). I will remind you that these are guidelines, not a set in stone formula. You can experiment with different amounts and different spices according to your constitution. I usually don’t measure either, so please see the following for what it is…a launching pad for you to explore the many ways in which to enjoy Golden Mylk and to reap the rewards of turmeric.
There are 3 steps to this version…but once you get it, it’s super easy!
Step 1 – Turmeric paste (turmeric powder, ground black pepper and water)
- On medium heat, dry roast turmeric powder and black pepper in a small pot (about 2 mins)
- Add water and simmer while continuously stirring until it turns into a paste (think toothpaste…about 5-10 mins)
- Remove from heat
Step 2 - Cashew Mylk(cashews and water)
- Soak cashews in water 8-12 hours
- Rinse until water drains clear
- Place cashews in blended
- Add water (the more water you add, the thinner the mylk, so if you like a thicker consistency, add less water, or see variations below)
- Blend well (about 3-5 mins on high, depending on blender power)
Step 3 – Golden Mylk (with cashew mylk still in blender, add the following and blend well)
- Turmeric paste
- Soaked and pitted dates (or your favorite sweetener)
- Vanilla powder
- Pinch of salt
- Coconut oil or ghee
- add ½ to a full avocado or frozen banana to thicken and make creamy
- add more pepper (increases heat)
- add ginger (supports digestion)
- add cardamom (balances doshas)
You can blend on high speed for an extended time to heat up the mylk if you prefer it warm.
Once you’ve got the basics down, have fun coming up with your own version of Golden Mylk. Try not to think about it too much…your body knows what it needs and will guide you to the perfect formula for you!